I’ve been making some good progress with the CBR this week. Apart from the engine, I’ve been scraping the paint off every component and cleaning/repainting as required. First of all, I got the swing-arm back in and torqued up all the engine mounts. Take note of the super clean rear suspension linkage.
Then I painstakingly scraped all the paint off the lower triple clamp and chain guard, sanded and repainted. I had the brilliant idea of using the trailer as a paint booth, but didn’t go as far as setting up a Dexter killing area – I’m not as concerned about getting splatter on the trailer walls!
Once the paint dried I installed these parts and scraped and cleaned the gear shift linkage, foot pegs and mounts, rear brake lever and stand/gear shift mount bracket.
She’s starting to look pretty darn sweet now if you ask me! I picked up a soft link for the chain – oh I forgot to mention that I had scraped and cleaned every single link of the chain … both sides!! Where was I, I picked up the soft link today from TSR and have a plan for the wheels – going to try getting the paint off with acetone to get down to the stock finish that I’m hoping is a black powder coat.
Also found that the stripped threads in the sub-frame were not actually stripped and there were supposed to be nuts underneath – good job I noticed before brazing some aluminum into the holes to re-thread! So now I just need to get on and paint the sub-frame so I can put that back on.