I wasn’t really looking for another project but I had been toying with the idea of one day picking up a front engine rear wheel drive vehicle like the old Ford Escort Mk II I used to have in the UK. I have some RSS feeds set up and one of them brought a posting for a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo to my attention. The good parts are that it is front engine rear wheel drive with a manual gearbox, it’s in decent shape and should have the awesome Porsche handling. On the down side, it has been off the road for 17 years, it doesn’t run (no power to the fuel pumps), there are lots of electrical accessories not working, and it’s purple!
I apologise for these bad pictures, it is winter so I’ll have to wait for spring to update with some better ones.
And at long last, here are some slightly better pics,
To Do List
- Paint A arms
and heat shields
- Hardly any air coming from defrost vents, blower motor is not working
- DS electric mirror not functioning
and glass stained– stain covered with blind spot mirror
- Driver’s seat cover repair
- Replace cracked elbow on turbo
- Replace waste-gate -got a TurboSmart 38mm from super neighbour Troy!
- Replace engine mounts – not needed right now, thought it was broken but the nut had simply fallen off
- Replace damaged injector – new ones from RockAuto should be here this week
- Put new nut on engine mount
- Replace damaged timing belt
- WTH, I installed a new head gasket!! Have I really not updated this since then?
- Replace transaxle oil, 17mm allen key – Replaced with Lucas synthetic
- Rubber hanger broken at cat – repaired with hose clamp
- Exhaust split at muffler – new piece welded in
- Engine tapping – adjusted valve screws, camshaft and followers replaced
- Look at wrapping – Rick paid $3000 for the Dinero wrap
- Repair paint damage – most areas filled, sanded and painted matte black
- Safety inspection – only failed on fuel hose routing, holes in rear bumper??? and opening hatch – all passed
- Replace rear speakers, install door speakers? – Installed Fiero seats with speakers in headrests and sub-woofer
- Front alignment – CT
- Replace tires – BFGoodrich gForce Sport Comp2 on interest free at CT
- Grating sound coming from PS front wheel, bearing – bearings re-greased
- Coughs and sputters over 3500rpm – checked for leaks in intake with smoke machine, all good, check fuel pump, fuel filter was clogged
- Clean up rust on muffler and paint
- Change oil and filter – moved oil pump housing round so that new filter fits – it worked!
- Windscreen and headlight squirters not working – fixed old hoses, new one way valve
- Speedometer not functioning – connected cable
- Fix fuel level sender – and low fuel light, maybe?
- Horn not working, again – bad connection at fuse (#1)
- Check valve clearances – perhaps a touch tight?
- Grease steering knuckle(s)
- Repaired flasher relay
- Parking brake light switch – made Fiero switch fit
- Rear brakes – replaced rear pads, fixed parking brake cable
- Rear speaker not working – re-wired and removed centre speaker
- Changed spark plug wires
- Radio not working – replaced with new
- Exhaust hangers damaged – repaired/replaced
- Tailpipe fallen off – welded Mustang tailpipe on
- Need new battery – thanks again John
- Fuse 7 keeps blowing – fixed short in seat belt warning lamp connector
- Rear wiper has no power – refurbished motor
- Fuel pumps not working – installed new pump, Walbro 255
- Made seat brackets
- Seats falling apart – replaced with tatty but comfy Type R seats
- Driver’s seat sliders seized – new sliders $20!
- Headlights don’t work – installed new lamps
- Headlights don’t pop up