Sold the Duke and before I could put the money in the bank I saw this going cheap so I jumped on it.
The seller was a cool guy, he told me that this bike was stolen recovered. He had sold it but then the police contacted him and told him they had recovered his bike!! The buyer didn’t register it so when they traced the VIN it went back to him, nice for him. The thieves had spray painted everything black, and I mean everything, even the chain! This guy did a nice job of painting up the fairings again but I might repaint it different colours.
It rained hard on the way to get it and half way back and it fell off the dang ramps while I was offloading it! Only damage was to the lower left fairing a little but also bent the ramp pretty good. Will have to sort out a new ramp – think I’ll get one of those curvy folding ones.
- Put it back together!
- Clean up clutch and stator covers and gear shift linkage – couldn’t get the stator cover off so will leave this for later
- Install brake guard
- I’m thinking of doing some sort of Repsol paint job when I’ve sorted out a fairing
- Get new soft link for the chain – got the link thanks to TSR, borrowed Danny’s tool to install it
- Get frame and swing-arm sand blasted – just dropped them off with Jim, told him to clear coat them as well as long as they look ok after blasting
- Check valve clearances – a few were on the tight side of the tolerance but all in spec. Danny says he prefers the valves on the tight side for racing, maximum open time
- Take it apart!
Next on the ‘to do’ list – the belly pan. I picked this one up from Milton with a couple of other damaged parts, it’s in better shape than the one I had but the same mount tab on the left is broken! The guy that gave me it said […]
CBR600RR Rebuild 7
We left off with waiting for the paint on the upper fairing to dry before removing the masking tape … again. This time it came out great so I got on with making a white number plate. I wasn’t sure whether to put the plate off to one side as […]
CBR600RR Rebuild 6
I’ve been making slow progress with the rebuild, mainly painting the fairing and it’s been a bit frustrating so I haven’t felt much like posting – I realize now that was a mistake and it would have been better to document the stuff that didn’t work out. On the plus […]
CBR600RR Rebuild 5
There’s not a lot of room in the trailer for painting the wheels and I wanted to be able to rotate them and preferably be able to get to both sides while painting rather than do one side and then turn it over. I found a tube in the garage […]
CBR600RR Rebuild 4
I took a little break from posting due to some personal issues, I still made a bit of progress and am starting to get back on track. For a start I got a great deal on a mint set of fairings. They also came with a tank cover and seat […]
Older posts »