We’re planning on frequent visits to the track this year and I wanted to be able to transport all 4 dirt bikes and keep all the riding gear out of the rain. We rented an open trailer from U-Haul last summer when we went camping but it was only 5’x8′ so could only really fit 3 bikes. I was looking at bigger open trailers but I soon found that I would have to increase my budget or buy brand new from Canadian Tire where I could get interest free equal payments on their credit card. As usual, the budget crept up until I found this 6’x10′ enclosed trailer.
It has some issues but seems to be pretty solid and once I’ve cleared out the shelving, I think we should be able to get 4 bikes in.
To Do List
- Find a way to secure the box
- Swap tires onto new wheels
- Replace side marker lights
- Remove sticker residue from back and sides – scraped off with Goo Gone and elbow grease!
- Paint new wheels
- Find a spare wheel, 205 75 R15 – Picked up 2 for $25 off Kijiji, cleaned up nice
- Paint frame underneath and welded door supports – 60% complete
- Bought new ratchet tie-downs for front bikes
- Make some ramps – made one that locates on bottom door lock
- Tidy up wheels – wire brushed and painted
- Install new PS tail marker light
- Tighten and grease wheel bearings, replace caps
- Offer up all 4 dirt bikes
- Repair side marker light and install new bulb in left tail light
- Install tie-down anchors at front
- Install shelf at front
- Repair rear door supports – both had come away from the frame at the bottom, found that the screws are 8 point Robertson, removed frame, peeled back the panel and welded some metal brackets on 2 sides to re-attach supports to the frame
- Purchase magnetic light
- Register trailer and install plate
- Obtain more tie-down anchors – 8 for $25 off Kijiji
- Fix interior panel at rear
- Remove all shelving
- Fix wiring for lights – bad joints at the connector
- Pick up 2 x padlocks for hitch and door
Sure enough there’s a good bit of room even with all the bikes loaded.
So I made a box to put the toolbox and gas cans in.