I got chatting with some guys at work that have dirt bikes and started getting the bug again. Back in the UK my favourite bike was a 90 odd Suzuki RM125, I didn’t want to spend much money so when I saw this 1992 version going cheap I had to go check it out. There are some issues with it but I ended up doing a good deal and bringing it home.
Looks like it could be fun once it’s running, I’ll work on it over winter ready for next season.
Here’s how it looked after I had fixed up and was ready to sell it.
To Do List
- Fix spring on rear brake lever
- Clean throttle assembly for quick return action
- Replace wiring
- Bike stand – picked up a project stool from Home Depot, thanks to Ion and Eduardo.
- Oil sump plug seal – got a fibre one
- Replace gear oil – old stuff looked in great shape
- New coolant
- Fix ding in front rim
- Straighten rear rim
- New split link for chain – found it!
- Drill and tap new holes in lower fork clamp for mudguard
- Clean carb/throttle slide – emptied the float bowl, checked jets
- Front caliper slider seals – $4 each, thanks TSR
- New front brake lever – $20
- New kill switch – $15, TSR
- New gas – mixed at about 35:1
- No spark, new CDI – 1st one from eBay, 1987 DOA; 2nd one from eBay, unknown year, also
- DOA! 3rd one from eBay, brand new aftermarket, finally it runs!!!
- Repair seat bolt nut(s) – welded new nuts on
- Replace rear shock upper mount bearing – lower replaced as well
- Front number plate – got one off an 89 RM250 $40
- Handlebars – straightened a bit but still not quite right