Categories
1992 RM125 Past Projects

Suzuki RM125 – Sold

Related articles
Electrical trouble-shooting
Wheel repair

I got chatting with some guys at work that have dirt bikes and started getting the bug again.  Back in the UK my favourite bike was a 90 odd Suzuki RM125, I didn’t want to spend much money so when I saw this 1992 version going cheap I had to go check it out.  There are some issues with it but I ended up doing a good deal and bringing it home.

Looks like it could be fun once it’s running, I’ll work on it over winter ready for next season.

Here’s how it looked after I had fixed up and was ready to sell it.

To Do List

  • NA

Completed

  • Fix spring on rear brake lever
  • Clean throttle assembly for quick return action
  • Replace wiring
  • Bike stand – picked up a project stool from Home Depot, thanks to Ion and Eduardo.
  • Oil sump plug seal – got a fibre one
  • Replace gear oil – old stuff looked in great shape
  • New coolant
  • Fix ding in front rim
  • Straighten rear rim
  • New split link for chain – found it!
  • Drill and tap new holes in lower fork clamp for mudguard
  • Clean carb/throttle slide – emptied the float bowl, checked jets
  • Front caliper slider seals – $4 each, thanks TSR
  • New front brake lever – $20
  • New kill switch – $15, TSR
  • New gas – mixed at about 35:1
  • No spark, new CDI – 1st one from eBay, 1987 DOA; 2nd one from eBay, unknown year, also
  • DOA!  3rd one from eBay, brand new aftermarket, finally it runs!!!
  • Repair seat bolt nut(s) – welded new nuts on
  • Replace rear shock upper mount bearing – lower replaced as well
  • Front number plate – got one off an 89 RM250 $40
  • Handlebars – straightened a bit but still not quite right

One reply on “Suzuki RM125 – Sold”

Finally built up enough courage to go to a track and try the bike out. The closest track to me is RJ Motorsports who open on Wednesdays for practice. I decided to take the day off work and take the wife with me for moral support. Trying to overcome some hefty anxiety, I found the place ok and got there quite early, there was only one other guy there – perfect. After a quick warm up, I went out but had to come back in after 2 laps, my forearms were hurting badly. Softened off the compression damping on the forks a few clicks and it was much better.
After another half a dozen laps or so, I noticed that the front mudguard was wobbling, 3 of the 4 mounting screws had come out! Started looking on the truck for a temporary replacement screw so I could keep riding a bit longer and then noticed that the bolt holding the sub frame was also missing! Anxiety was still bad and I was tired so I was quite happy to pack up at that point, I made it out and know what to expect now.
After fixing the issues, I decided to spend a bit of time tidying up the looks. I always say it’s a dirt bike track, not a fashion show but the previous owner had painted the mudguard and side panels and it had started flaking off making it look nasty. I scraped off the rest of the paint, got replacement screws for the mudguard and sub-frame and finally did a decent patch job on the seat using a bit of old Porsche seat leather since I cannot find a seat cover anywhere. Now it’s ready for round two, but so are the kids so I will have to find something for them to ride as well.

Comments are closed.